Monday, November 15, 2010

10 Signs You're a Raging Shopaholic



1. The first place you go after getting your paycheck is to the mall: I’m learning to budget more and more. But when I got my first job that paid me over minimum wage, I went crazy for the first few months. I bought just about everything my little heart desired, only to realize that I still didn’t have things I needed. I was just getting caught up in the moment. Big mistake!

2. Window shopping is never just window shopping: “Oh yeah, I’m just gonna take a little peek,” you tell your friends, “I won’t buy anything.” 45 minutes later you’re standing outside the shop with less cash and a shopping bag in your hand. Just say no...

3. The word “sale” sends you running in a mad dash to the sales rack: Just because something’s on sale doesn’t mean you NEED it. I cannot stress this enough to myself. Sure you can find plenty of great steals for your wardrobe. But why buy something that you wouldn’t want to buy if it wasn’t on sale?

4. A sinking feeling fills your tummy when you realize you’ve bought another pair of shoes: Ever made a purchase and felt your heart drop a little when you walk out the store? Yeah…that’s your GUILT squeezing your heart because you bought another pair of shoes to collect dust in the fashion graveyard that is your room!

5. There’s nowhere to put all of your clothes and your bedroom has become a closet: In all honesty, my closet has spilled out of the tiny space it was allotted and morphed into my entire room. I have clothes hanging from my canopy bed! Major party foul.

6. Somehow you managed to meet your shopping quota for the week, yet you still missed your bill payment: This has happened to me once, and I will never let it happen again. Missing a bill payment to go shopping is absolutely unacceptable. And we all know it. So don’t let this happen to you! This is a problem that I’m going to assume college kids may deal with the most. Keep track of when your credit card payments are due.

7. You hide your shopping buys from your parents/roomies/ partner: If you find yourself stuffing your new finds into your huge purse before going into the house, you may have a problem. You have now become a clothes smuggler. Doesn’t that sound ridiculous? That’s because it is.

8. The adrenaline starts pumping and your heart goes thump just from online browsing: I’m not going to lie. I’ve spent hours online browsing site to site, saving pictures in powerpoint documents, and making ridiculously large wishlists. Somehow I never end up buying the things on them though...

9. You buy multiple items over again in different colors: Sometimes it’s good to have staple items such as basic tees and cardigans in a few different colors, but why buy something that you already have? You’re just throwing money out the door instead of really building a strong wardrobe.

10. Every time you shop you tell yourself you just need a few more tops to make your wardrobe complete: In actuality you can never have enough clothes. You can buy every staple item, every accessory, and every statement piece you want for a month and you’ll still want more and more! The desire to have new clothes and new ways to represent your personality can become insatiable, but only if you let it!


* The Battle Begins...
I’ve created this list to help myself and any other shopaholics out there suffering from the same mistakes I myself make. Before my next shopping trip, I’m doing to take stock of what I have in my wardrobe. Any staple items I have missing will take priority. Only then will I allow myself to buy more shoes and accessories. If you are having the same problem with your wardrobe I suggest you do the same. I guarantee you'll feel much better about your wardrobe once you've got all the essentials!

No comments:

Post a Comment