Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Restaurant Finds: Mama Zu's



After hearing great things about local spot Mama Zu's I figured it was time to check this place out, so I went for a lunch date. My first impression upon walking up to the door was hole-in-the-wall. But I figured maybe it's just a great hidden spot. If you're looking for top-quality service you might be a bit disappointed. Being a newcomer to the restaurant, service could have been better upon first walking in the door (I was unsure if I should seat myself or wait for a hostess) and the atmospherics are fair at best. After finding a spot I was promptly attended to by my waitress who was appropriately accommodating. Surprisingly, the lunch menu is very affordable ranging about $10 and under for most entrees. Perfect for the broke college student! However they lose major points on not offering sweet tea! Talk about a major sin for the south...This is Richmond, VIRGINIA.

My entree was pretty good, but some dishes are almost overly simplistic. I suggest trying the Broccoletti for an appetizer and the Penne Karl as an entree. The Tiramisu is also excellent. However, beware of the dinner menu prices which I hear are over priced. As well as be sure to bring cash as they don't accept any card accept American Express and the nearest ATM is pretty far. Overall I deem the whole experience not stellar, but a satisfactory lunch experience.


Rating: ** and 1/2 (based on a 5-star rating)

No comments:

Post a Comment